Alexander Zverev Under ATP Investigation for Domestic Abuse


After months of delay and complaints from players and tennis officials, the men’s professional tennis tour announced on Monday that Alexander Zverev will be investigated following allegations of domestic abuse made by an ex-girlfriend.

Zverev, 24, a rising star from Germany, world fourth in men’s singles, vehemently denied accusations that he was violent towards Olya Sharypova during a series of physical altercations. The Russian national, Sharypova, has not filed any charges regarding the events that took place in 2019. The two started dating when they were teenagers, but the relationship ended more than a year ago.

Ahead of the US Open, Zverev sought injunctive relief in court in Germany to prevent further reporting on Slate’s allegations. long article They were written by Ben Rothenberg, a freelance tennis writer who sometimes writes for The New York Times. The court granted an injunction, and Zverev cited this as confirmation of his innocence.

While the Court fell short on this point, it agreed with his argument that the evidence presented in the article was insufficient to justify the effect on him under German law. The decision stated that such an article must have sufficient balance so that Zverev does not leave the impression that Sharypova is guilty of the acts that she accused him of committing.

Multiple players said the ATP should address the Zverev situation directly and change its policies regarding domestic violence allegations. Andy Murray, a former world number 1, complained that he felt the ATP had their feet on this one this year, long after several North American sports leagues changed their policies to allow players who were victims of domestic violence. Claims suspended.

“This year, I think, was something that needed to change in terms of how some situations were handled,” Murray said after saying he would consider changing ATP’s policy. “I didn’t really feel like there was some kind of stance on the sport, really.”

On Monday, the ATP said it completely condemns any form of violence or abuse and will investigate such allegations of conduct at an ATP member tournament.

ATP CEO Massimo Calvelli described the allegations against Zverev as “serious”.

“We have a responsibility to address them,” Calvelli said in a statement. “We hope our investigation will allow us to establish the facts and determine appropriate follow-up action.”

The ATP announced in August that an independent panel will review its policies and make recommendations regarding player behavior, including for players who have been the subject of allegations of abuse.

Zverev has suggested that he would cooperate in an investigation, but it is unclear what form that cooperation will take. Until now, the ATP had no clear rule for investigating and taking action against players who are the subject of allegations of domestic abuse before cases are settled in a court of law.

Sharypova said she had no intention of suing or suing Zverev over the alleged disputes that occurred in the US and China while Zverev was competing.

Zverev is scheduled to play at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, California this week, and plans to play in the ATP Tour Finals in Italy next month.

Since the allegations, Zverev has parted ways with their manager at Team8, the agency founded by Roger Federer and his manager Tony Godsick, but last month joined Federer’s tournament, the Laver Cup. Among Zverev’s main sponsors are Adidas and Rolex, who have stood by him until now despite the allegations.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.