Zach LaVine Is Not Going To Tokyo With The USA Men’s Basketball Team

[ad_1]

TOKYO — The U.S. men’s national basketball team traveled to Tokyo on Monday without guard Zach LaVine breaking into coronavirus health and safety protocols. Team USA said in a statement that it hopes LaVine can rejoin the team later this week. The USA men’s basketball team changed their roster last week after losing guard Bradley Beal to health and safety protocols, and forward Kevin Love withdrew from participation.

US women’s basketball has also been hit by news that Katie Lou Samuelson, a member of the 3×3 Olympic team, will miss the Games following a positive test result. Samuelson said he was fully vaccinated.

“It’s been my dream to compete in the Olympics since I was little and I hope one day I can come back to fulfill that dream soon,” said 24-year-old Samuelson. She wrote on her Instagram post.

Earlier on Monday, the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee confirmed that an alternate on the women’s gymnastics team had tested positive for coronavirus while training in Chiba prefecture outside Tokyo.

Although 18-year-old Kara Eaker from Grain Valley, Mo. has the vaccine, her coach Al Fong said in a text message that she has begun a 10- to 14-day quarantine. He added that he “feels good”.

Fong also said that Leanne Wong, another alternative and Eaker’s teammate at the GAGE ​​Center gym in Blue Springs, Mo., is also under quarantine and is expected to last until July 31, as it is considered close contact. Wong, 17, of Overland Park, Kansas, said he wasn’t vaccinated at the Olympic trials last month.

The opening ceremony is on Friday and the first competitions are on Wednesday. But Tokyo Olympics organizers, delayed a year by the pandemic, are struggling to manage public anxiety about the Games after a string of coronavirus cases threaten to overshadow the festivities.

More than two dozen people have tested positive for the virus, including three cases in the Olympic Village, as nearly 20,000 athletes, coaches, referees and other officials have flocked to Japan in recent days. 33 additional staff or contractors, who are Japanese residents working on the games, tested positive.

Olympic organizers have said their measures, including repeated testing, social distancing and movement restrictions, will limit, but not eliminate, coronavirus cases. The Games, originally scheduled for 2020, have been postponed for a year in hopes that the pandemic will subside and they herald a triumphant return to normalcy.

Instead, they became a reminder of the virus’s enduring power and discussion On whether Japan and the International Olympic Committee clearly set their priorities.



[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *