Olympic Composer, Keigo Oyamada, Resigns Due to Disability Bullying


The music composer for the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics resigned on Monday after admitting to bullying disabled classmates when he was a student.

Keigo Oyamada, 52, using the stage name Cornelius Announced on Twitter He said he had submitted his resignation to the Tokyo organizing committee just four days before he oversaw the music for the opening ceremony.

Shortly after the announcement, some of the interviews he gave to a Japanese magazine in the 1990s, in which he described how he abused his classmates years ago, surfaced on social media. In interviews, Mr. Oyamada was reported to have said that he made fun of children with Down syndrome, stripped his classmates naked and forced them to masturbate.

pressure building and petition Oyamada, who asked for his resignation, said he “well realized that when I accepted the offer to participate in the Olympic ceremonies, I did not consider many people”.

last week before Declaration Posted on Twitter, Mr. Oyamada tried to spread the growing criticism over the interviews by apologizing. He said many parts of the articles “really deviated.” However, he added, “There is no doubt that my classmates were hurt by my words and actions.”

“I am so sorry for how my words and actions hurt my classmates and their parents,” she wrote. “I regret and take responsibility for being in a position where I hurt others more than being friends during my school years.” He added that he takes time to “think” and “rethink”.

Tokyo Olympics organizers released a statement saying they accepted his resignation. Initially, the organizers said they hoped to continue working with Mr. Oyamada despite his “unacceptable” behavior.

“In light of Mr. Oyamada’s apology, we expressed our wish to allow Mr. Oyamada to continue the preparatory work in the short time remaining for the Opening Ceremony,” the statement said. “However, we believed this decision was wrong and decided to accept his resignation. We offer our deepest apologies for the insult and confusion caused by so many during this time.”

Mr. Oyamada is the third person linked to the organizing committee after a scandal in recent months.

In March, Yoshiro Mori, former chairman of the Tokyo organizing committee, resignation after that suggested that women talk a lot at meetingsstarts an anti-sexist firestorm.

same month, Hiroshi SasakiThe original creative director of the opening ceremonies was challenged after news leaked that he named a popular comedian and plus-size fashion designer. Naomi Watanabe, an “Olympic”. At the time, she was describing her role in the opening ceremonies, where she would fall from the sky adorned with pig ears.

Friday’s ceremony at the new Olympic stadium in Tokyo will likely be a scaled-down version of the original plan. coronavirus restrictions and no audience. Organizers are struggling to combat growing public concern as more athletes and Olympic personnel are testing positive for the coronavirus.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.